Lux Absio Bervatum

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

"Hi, is this ____?"

Good phone etiquette is in short supply these days. More than 90% of the calls I get on my cell phone are scams, robocalls, or other uninvited parties. (Would be nice if the FCC did something to discourage this and stuff like number spoofing but that's not a priority for them right now. donotcall.gov is a joke.)

And it's incredible how many human callers open with, "Hi, is this ____?" If you're contacting someone for a legitimate reason, don't do that. It's rude. First, identify yourself (and your organization if applicable), then ask for their identity. "Hi, this is Jennifer with First National Bank. Is this ____?"

My stock response for folks that don't do this: "Sorry, I don't identify myself to unknown callers. Who are you?" (It's okay to be blunt when they start off on the wrong foot.)