Lux Absio Bervatum

Friday, September 5, 2014

Mumble mumble

(Full disclosure: Not totally sober at the moment, so this may not articulatify properly.)
Here's an argument that gets used a lot for why gay people deserve acceptance: Being gay isn't a choice and it's unfair to hold people accountable for things beyond their control, so we should accept people in spite of the things they can't control. I have mixed feelings about this reasoning.

It shouldn't matter whether or not being gay is a choice. Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, that being gay was a choice. Would that make it okay to be intolerant of people who engage in those wholly-voluntary behaviors? I don't think it would. Two dudes or two ladies loving each other doesn't hurt anyone and it makes them happy. It's win-win.

Oof, so sleepy. I've been working late a lot this week and Tim started reading Diaspora which is one of my very favorite books so I started reading it again. But I mostly just read in bed before going to sleep and Diaspora is one of those books that's hard for me to put down. So I end up getting to sleep later than I should. But man is it great. I think one of the reasons I love it is that it's remotely possible that the technologies needed for people to translate themselves into software could come about in my lifetime. It's hard to read it without imagining what you might do with the awesome powers that come with existing as an infomorph.

Like, as an infomorph, you could duplicate yourself. Or back yourself up. Edit yourself. Examine your own brain. Change the way you experience the passage of time. Erase memories.

Alright, this is getting too rambly. I'm gonna go to bed. GOODNIGHT.