Lux Absio Bervatum

Saturday, August 9, 2014

How to Build Community and RAMBLING

Have you guys seen this poster? My doctor has this hanging in his office and I took a photo of it with my phone the last time I was there. I thought it was a bunch of cheesy BS the first time I noticed it, but eventually I got it. If you find this stupid I implore you to spend some time thinking about WHY you feel that way. It might not be perfect (I'm not going to dance in the street, poster) but it gets a lot right. If everyone would spend a tiny bit more effort doing some of this stuff, everyone's lives would improve.

How to Build Community

You should try to be as healthy as possible. Physically, mentally, emotionally. Sometimes you have to make hard choices, like if you're feeling down and hungry and there's a piece of chocolate cake in the fridge. The healthy choice might be to eat an apple instead and go talk to a friend. But it's also possible that the healthy choice could be to eat the cake because you know you can use the temporary mood elevation and energy to clean the house and then the satisfaction that brings you will be more effective in lifting you out of your funk. Of course, you have to check yourself. You might just be rationalizing so you can have the cake. That's why you need to have some self-awareness. Like, know how you tend to operate.

Here's how I build my own self-awareness: I keep a journal. I do more than just that, but I think the journal is really important. My memory isn't as good as I want it to be. (That's probably true for everyone though, right?) So I write down things I'm feeling and dates and instructions for myself (when I think I'm having a moment of clarity). Then I review it later. Oof, sorry, I just ran out of steam. Feeling tired. So I'm gonna stop here.

I had a lot of sugar last night, so I think that's the problem. Sugar's not good for me. It's super fun to eat, but it increases the amplitude of the oscillation of your mood. Okay, I shouldn't say it's not good for me, it's just that it's one of those dangerous tools because it affects dopamine and endorphins.

Anyway, that was my own fault; Jason and Erin came over and made dinner for me (which was super nice of them, they're great) and we had ice cream for dessert and they left it in the freezer for me and I do not act responsibly when I know there's something THAT delicious in the freezer just waiting to be et. So I ate ALL THE ICE CREAM. It was so satisfying at the time, but it wasn't worth the disruption that it's causing me now. Because now I just want to nap or lay on the sofa and watch a movie and I much prefer being productive. Passive entertainment isn't great for your brain. At least by my personal standards anyway. I like my brain best when it wants intense engagement and has positive mood. That's not the case right now. But sleep will probably fix that.